From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID 1+0 question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:26:05
1 On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 18:42 +0100, Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Marton Gabor <gabor.marton@××××××××××.hu> said:
5 > > Now I have the idea to use RAID5 and ...
6 >
7 > in a recent discussion about raid on this list, somebody posted a link
8 > to BAARF - the Battle Agaist Any Raid Five
9 >
10 > http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/
11 >
12 > which i found to be an interesting read.
13 >
14 I don't get it :-)
15
16 Having RAID doesn't magically make backups unneccessary. Even with a
17 RAID1 of RAID1 of RAID5 you risk losing all your data with a rm -rf in
18 the wrong place. And there's nothing more beautiful then a faulty
19 controller frying all your disks at once :-)
20
21 Apart from that raid5 is often the locally best solution for solving
22 storage problems, so if you don't want to use it, fine, just don't try
23 to tell me to put another three disks in my server (which I can't even
24 do without buying a new larger enclosure).
25
26 Patrick
27 --
28 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move