From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Genoo Automatistation
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:35:20
1 First of all thanks a lot for your quick reply... I hope you don't
2 mind answering a few more questions, you really caught my attention :o)
3
4 Kurt Lieber wrote:
5
6 >On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:55:10PM +0200 or thereabouts, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
9 >> From my limited understanding, cfengine provides a way to centrally
10 >>manage hosts with common configuration, am I right?
14 >Yes.
18 >>Do you have the
19 >>possibility of defining "classes" of hosts? I mean, let's say I have a
20 >>mail server, several web servers, desktop machines.... I would like to
21 >>have common configurations for all of them, is this possible?
25 >Yes. You can also have common configurations for most of them, but specific
26 >special configurations that apply to only one or two machines. You have
27 >nearly limitless flexibility in defining classes.
30 What about having a common configuration personalized for every
31 machine? Let's say I have a lot of web servers, but there is something
32 inside some configuration files that is dependant on the machine, like
33 the machine name, or the domain name of the machine. Does cfengine
34 handle such a situation, replacing those variables with proper values?
35
36 If so, I guess I also could automate the process of SSL certificate
37 creation, using a proper name and domain for every machine controlled by
38 cfengine...
42 >> Another question... let's say I have to install a lot of machines, I
43 >>understand that I just would install all the required packages,
44 >>configure cfengine, and then all the machines would automatically
45 >>configure themselves using my centrally stored configuration, am I
46 >>right?
50 >Yes. That's what we do now, in fact.
54 >>Can you automate the process of package installation, so maybe
55 >>you could have a "desktop profile/class", "mail server profile/class",
56 >>etc... that stores packages and their configurations?
60 >You could do this, but I wouldn't recommend storing the packages
61 >themselves. Instead, I'd recommend storing information about how to
62 >install the packages the way you want them.
63 >
64 >In other words, don't store the binaries -- store the ebuilds and have
65 >cfengine emerge the packages you want using those ebuilds.
69 I'm very interested on this. So this means you could make a very
70 basic installation of Gentoo, and then configure cfengine and tell the
71 machine: "you will be a mail server", so the machine then installs every
72 needed package and configure itself? Do you have some pointer to any
73 docs regarding this?
74
75 This would solve another problem I was thinking about in order to
76 use Gentoo in enterprise environments: the need of a stable snapshot of
77 portage, so you could install a machine with a target known and tested
78 environment. This could be done storing the cfengine configuration,
79 including ebuilds, in a version control system. This would let me create
80 tested portage snapshots with its corresponding configuration, assigning
81 them names through the use of tags, and using them in all my machines
82 once the changes are comitted to a central repository.
83
84 And again, thanks a lot
85 Best regards
86 Jose