From: tigger@g.o
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] status update
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:55:45
1 On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:19:32AM +0200, Vegard Figenschou wrote:
2 > *zeroconf
3 > -(requirements? IPv4/IPv6 network? mac-address?)
4 > -[please fill in here]
5
6 I'm not sure what you mean by requirements really...I think we can
7 safely assume an ethernet network (please?) so everyone has a
8 mac-address, it goes without saying.
9
10 zeroconf has no requirements other than a network interface.
11
12 mdns however requires that multicast is supported on the network.
13
14 > *dhcp
15 > -minimum requirement: a mac-address
16
17 dhcp means that we need to have a dhcpd that we can control on the
18 network that suppports the non-standard options. If we don't have access
19 to one, or there is already one running on our network then we are
20 stuck.
21
22 > *bootp
23 > -minimum requirement
24
25 see above?
26
27 > *fixed gold-server address (ie. gold-server is always located at 10.0.0.123)
28
29 Using dhcpd and non-standard options we can tell the machine where the
30 gold server is (it doesn't need to always have the same IP).
31
32 Using zeroconf and mdns we can tell the machine where the gold server
33 is.
34
35 > *To make a distribution that just does it the right way (ie. if zeroconf works
36 > out magic:)
37
38 heres hoping...
41 rob holland - [ tigger@g.o ]
42 irc://irc.freenode.net/#gentoo as tigger^
43 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tigger/tigger@××××××××××.asc