From: Chris Smart <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Areca SATA RAID cards and Gentoo
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:29:08
1 Hey Jared,
2
3 I will be ordering an Areca card over the next two weeks for a new dual
4 opteron system.
5
6 Areca 1110, 4 port PCI-X to SATA Raid controller running 4 x 300gb
7 Seagate 7200.8 drives in raid 5.
8
9 If you can wait that long I can give you some feedback.
10
11 FYI, the Areca driver has made it into mm-sources 2.6.11, so might be
12 found in the stable kernel soon.
13 They do release source driver though, so for us Gentooists that is a
14 good thing.
15
16 Cheers,
17 Chris
18
19 Jared Klett wrote:
20
21 > hello list,
22 >
23 > the time has come for me to put together some new Gentoo servers,
24 > and I was wondering:
25 >
26 > 1. Has anyone gotten a chance to test out an Areca SATA RAID card
27 > under Gentoo?
28 > 2. If so, where did you buy it? I can't seem to locate any
29 > distributors in the US.
30 > - I located one in the UK, but $121 for shipping is a bit much
31 > 3. Is there a marked performance improvement over 3ware or Megaraid
32 > controllers?
33 > - I did read the reviews on Tom's Hardware and Tweakers.net - I'd
34 > like real, end-user feedback
35 > 4. Are you doing RAID-5 or RAID-6 on the Areca?
36 >
37 > kind of a long shot, but I'm curious to hear anything before I
38 > start placing orders for more 3ware cards. which are great, but I'm
39 > always looking to squeeze more performance and space out of my
40 > hardware. :)
41 >
42 > RAID-6 would be very cool. it pains me a little to lose space in
43 > favor of fault tolerance with RAID-10.
44 >
45 > reviews and distributors:
46 >
47 > http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/557/29