From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 18:33:40
1 [Apologies if this is a duplicate post; I tried posting this through
2 GMANE yesterday without subscribing first, and it appears not to have
3 gone through; likewise when I posted several hours ago today from a
4 different address than the one I subscribed].
5
6 All,
7
8 I'm looking at replacing SuSE SLES9 with Gentoo for an enterprise
9 application (for reasons of flexibility and licensing) (no, we don't
10 have an enterprise application budget -- just the reliability
11 requirements; yaaay, startups!). We're looking to be able to deploy and
12 manage hundreds of geographically distributed servers.
13
14 We have a QA department available to vet each configuration before it is
15 deployed to the field. We have infrastructure for tracking the progress
16 of code in svn from creation though QA to deployment; I'm anticipating
17 tracking a local overlay (containing all packages we use), make.conf,
18 /etc/portage/*, etc. through this system, autobuilding system images
19 (either to run virtualized or on real hardware) from the contents of
20 svn, building binary packages and deploying them to real hardware.
21
22 I'm interested in best practices, suggested tools, and/or 3rd party
23 experiences in this regard.
24
25 Some particular questions which come to mind:
26 - Should I be using a custom profile or a standard profile with
27 overrides through make.conf, /etc/portage/* and the like?
28 - What's the Right Way to create new system images ready to be loaded
29 onto a hard drive or run through a virtual machine? gentoo-buildhoster
30 looks interesting. I've seen Catalyst mentioned as a way to create
31 stage3 images, but what documentation I've been able to find doesn't
32 seem very much targeted for my use cases.
33 - Any experiences with puppet? With out ratio of servers to staff,
34 automating configuration and administration is a priority. (We already
35 have an internal tool written with automating the server configuration
36 process in mind; it has some functionality puppet doesn't, and puppet
37 has functionality it doesn't; in theory, I'd like to extend puppet until
38 our internal tool becomes unnecessary, though I'll need to understand
39 puppet much better before I can think too hard about that).
40 - Have any of 'yall been in the 100s-of-servers situation with
41 comparable requirements and come up with a different approach to
42 managing it? How did things work out?
43
44 Thank you!
48 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list