From: "Dice R. Random" <dicerandom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Opinion: ssh to root vs sudo
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:56:32
1 On 10/11/06, Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I'm looking for some opinions for a security decision. I need to
5 > enable remote administrative access to critical systems living about
6 > 3-4 hours from me and in another country. The systems will be running
7 > LAMP, more or less.
8 >
9 > Which is a better idea, allowing key-only root access, or ssh'ing in
10 > as myself and running su/sudo/whatever? Either way, I'll set up
11 > iptables so that connection attempts from anywhere other than my
12 > office are -j DROP'ed.
13 >
14 > Thanks,
15 >
16 > Peter
17 > --
18 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
22 Hello,
23
24 The danger with key-only auth, IMO, is that if your workstation is
25 compromised, even just the user account, an attacker can copy your
26 private key and gain root access to the server. Of course your user
27 account on a typical workstation is open to all kinds of
28 vulnerabilities since you're generally running all sorts of random
29 things like web browsers and IM clients and whatnot. That's why I
30 prefer to ssh into my user account on the remote server, auth by
31 password, then su to root and auth by password once more.
32 --
33 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list