From: Andrew Fant <andrew.fant@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:45:10
1 I suspect that it would be out of your price range, but I do want to say
2 that legato networker does work under gentoo, even if it isn't r*d-h*t.
3 Just a data point to add to the mix.
4
5 Andy
6
7 --On Monday, March 22, 2004 09:41:09 -0800 Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
8 wrote:
9
10 > Hi all,
11 >
12 > I'm wondering what everyone is using to back up their Gentoo servers.
13 > Right now I'm using Amanda which works fairly well but I'm thinking about
14 > changing over to something new.
15 >
16 > My environment:
17 > - 2 servers, about 120 gigs total disk space between them
18 > - a 75G (native) DLT tape library (Quantum 4500 with 15G tapes)
19 >
20 > What I like about amanda:
21 > - network backup, one server controls everything
22 > - point-in-time restore (I can choose to restore a file from last week
23 > and it will tell me what tape it needs)
24 > - decently reliable after initial setup
25 > - intelligent planning of incremental backups automatically
26 >
27 > What I don't like about amanda:
28 > - can't append to the previous day's tape (lots of tapes that only get
29 > 15% full or so with incrementals)
30 > - large dumps cannot span multiple tapes
31 > - handling of above results in amanda spending hours writing to a tape
32 > just to start all over again on the next tape when it runs out of space
33 > - no GUI
34 >
35 > I want to find something that uses my tapes more effectively and wastes
36 > less time than amanda. What I don't want to loose is the indexing
37 > functions and the ability to backup both my servers (and as many more as
38 > I add in the future) without having to actually mount the partitions to
39 > be backed up to the backup server.
40 >
41 > Anyone have any thoughts? I've been poking around and I've found BURT
42 > but that doesn't seem to have any activity since 1999 or so. Bacula
43 > looks promising also (in fact right now it seems to be the closest to
44 > what I'm looking for). Anyone have any experience?
45 >
46 > Bryn