From: Gentoo <debiansid@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:07:37
1 got it,I am planning to setup build server, but I have no idea how to make
2 it.
3
4 thanks
5
6 On 9/3/06, Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > On 9/3/06, Gentoo <debiansid@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > > Hi All,
10 > > Just want to know abou this.
11 > > Does anyone use gentoo as production servers, like mail, dns, mysql,
12 > web,ntp
13 > > ,etc..
14 >
15 > I use Gentoo in a few production environments both with my company and
16 > our customers. Gentoo runs on boxes serving these tasks:
17 > * (iptables) firewall
18 > * (apache) web server
19 > * (postfix) mail server
20 > * (bind) DNS server
21 > * (mysql & postgres) database server(s)
22 > * (hylafax) fax server
23 > * (samba) file server providing support for windows boxen
24 > * (python) application servers running some internal applications
25 >
26 > The short story is that I run it on just about every piece of
27 > infrastructure that I support and I love it. I would mention that if
28 > you plan to run it in a sufficiently large production environment that
29 > you should invest the extra time/money up-front to setup a build
30 > server so that you don't have to compile upgrades on each of your
31 > production boxes. Other than that, I find Gentoo to be far easier to
32 > mantain than any other distro that I have ever used.
33 >
34 > -Mike
37 > --
39 > Michael E. Crute
40 > http://mike.crute.org
41 >
42 > I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
43 > up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
44 > --
45 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
51 Life is hard