From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-server] 1000Mbps NIC Getting 100Mbps speeds
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:42:26
1 I have installed a 1000Mbps NIC in my system. This is the system some of
2 you read about me where I was trying to swap the names of eth0 and eth1
3 so maybe that has something to do with my problem.
4
5 The light on the NIC shows 1000Mbps link, as does the switch it is
6 connected to. Kernel messages show the link as autonegotiated, and
7 1000Mbps.
8
9 The only odd one out is mii-tool which claims "eth0: negotiated
10 100baseTx-FD, link ok"
11
12 I also tried using ethtool to set it at 1000Mbps anyway via ethtool -s
13 eth0 speed 1000 , and the kernel again spits out messages about a
14 1000Mbps link being up just fine. mii-tool still says the same as above,
15 however.
16
17 The problem is that I get speeds just as if it were a 100Mbps link,
18 starting at about 9MB/s then dropping to about 8.
19
20 As noted above I had two NIC's. One was an onboard 100Mbps, and the
21 second an add on 64-bit 1000Mbps. I had to do some tweaking with nameif
22 to get the 1000Mbps as eth0, and the 100Mbps as eth1. The reasons why I
23 wanted this really don't matter.
24
25 Making things more confusing, last night when I first applied the nameif
26 changes, I DID see 1000Mbps speed transfers.
27
28 I saw exactly this behavior in the past, what was happening was the
29 traffic was going right back out the 100Mbps and thus we had 100Mbps
30 speeds. However this time I've disabled the 100Mbps, even unplugged it.
31
32 There are no unusual routing entries. I am not using iptables.
33
34 I'm stumped here, any ideas?
37 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list