From: Andrew Fant <andrew.fant@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-server] wolk-sources
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:38:06
1 It may be heresy, but I have gs-sources on a cluster of Dell 2650s here and
2 it has been solid for our use.
3
4 Andy
7 On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:29:48 -0400 "Rev. Jeffrey Paul" <sneak@××××××××.net> wrote:
8
9 RJP> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:14:43PM -0400, Kurt Lieber wrote:
10 RJP> > Personally, I avoid gentoo-sources for server usage. I don't feel
11 RJP> it has
12 RJP> > received enough attention of late to warrant production usage.
13 RJP> There have
14 RJP> > been numerous reports of problems with it on IRC, including
15 RJP> choppiness,
16 RJP> > slowness and instability. ymmv and all that.
17 RJP>
18 RJP> I've encountered random odd freezes using gentoo-sources as well.
19 RJP> What do
20 RJP> you usually use on production machines? When stability is key, I've
21 RJP> found
22 RJP> myself using vanilla-sources and then manually patching grsec in,
23 RJP> although
24 RJP> I admit I am not as informed about the other kernel source sets as
25 RJP> I'd
26 RJP> like to be. Are there better alternatives for production servers?
27 RJP>
28 RJP> -j
29 RJP>