From: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:30:31
1 Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 07 September 2004 12:52 am, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
5 >>The size of the portage tree is growing faster than the number of devs that
6 >>are around to maintain it. When I first started using Gentoo in February
7 >>2003, there were only ~30,000 files in the Portage tree. Currently, there
8 >>are 80,000+ files. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there has been a
9 >>3x jump in developers to go along with that. Volunteer your own time and
10 >>become a developer.
13 > This seems like a great solution, but its not..
14
15 I have to disagree here. IMO, this *is* the solution.
16
17 Becoming a gentoo developer
18 > isnt very easy.. Its not like you can fill out a resume and they hire you..
19
20 Of course it's not easy. The hard part is volunteering your time.
21 While you don't fill out an application (resume?) per se, you do attempt
22 to show your worthiness and dedication (bugzilla is usually a good way).
23 If you continually produce good patches/fixes, you *will* be noticed
24 and may eventually be asked if you'd like to become a dev.
25
26 Cheers
27 --
28 Ignore previous fortune.