From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] lm-sensors problem
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:06:37
1 Andrea Ferraris wrote:
2 [...Re: K7S5A failures / RMA...]
3 > The Big Bang! ;-)
4 > It seems that I'm more lucky. The system is running since 2 weeks
5 > without trouble. I've compiled really all (Gentoo install from stage 1),
6 > I ran piozone and bonnie++ to test the disks throughput, recompiling
7 > the kernel 60 times without pause (to test the RAM; the system load
8 > was at about 4) and I didn't get any error.
9
10 Oh, I had them stressed out. They tend to last anywhere between several
11 weeks and months before they die. Many lasted as long as a full year
12 before death. It seems to depend on a lot of factors, including stress
13 levels, heat (quantity/dissapation), power-on time / number of power
14 offs, dust levels, case on versus off, and just plain 'ol time.
15
16 Much like the Fujitsu 10-20GB ATA hard drives, we didn't find any
17 correlation between deaths. They just eventually go.
18
19 Early warnings are leaky and swollen capacitors, esp. those near the CPU
20 and RAM slots. (Note: the tops of the capacitors should be completely
21 flat. Any bulge or rounding indicates pending failure.)
22
23 I've lost the article (I could likely lay hands on it tomorrow), but the
24 line of bad capacitors was in the tens of millions and affected several
25 product lines, of which the ECS K7S5A was most prevalent for us.
26
27 > Now I've compiled the 2.6.1 kernel and installed and compiled the
28 > lm-sensors for such kernel and they works, it is, sensors-detect worked
29 > and now they can show many wrong data and use the ISA module, but
30 > that seems normal, I have to adjust that behaviour with some parameters
31 > to pass to the i2c modules.
32
33 What steps did you undergo to merge lm-sensors with 2.6.1? I was under
34 the impression that the ebuild merged both kernel modules and userland
35 tools, and the lm-sensors project page indicates that kernel modules
36 will not as yet work with 2.6.x. Is the ebuild intelligent, or did you
37 perform a manual installation? If the latter, we should get the ebuild
38 updated pronto so that it becomes intelligent.
41 Stewart Honsberger - http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
42 To teach is to learn twice.
43 -- Joseph Joubert