From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Administrate vpopmial with qmail
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:16:18
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2 > You mean a backup MX or just backing up the email?
3 >
4 > Normally vpopmail stores email for xyz.com under
5 > /home/vpopmail/domains/xyz.com/
6 >
7 Are you sure that's the default? I don't remember telling vpopmail to do anything out of
8 the ordinary and my virtual domain mails are under /var/vpopmail/domains.
9
10 I like that about vpopmail... it just maintains pretty much the same folder structure that
11 a regular mail user on the system would have, so I can go right to it.
12
13 About the only thing I don't like about vpopmail is that it uses mysql to store its
14 user/domain information. So anytime mysql has one of its "problematic" upgrades, I risk
15 losing all mail service until it's resolved. Seems like they could have just used BDB or
16 even a flat file for that stuff, though I suppose the latter might be hella slow.
17
18 Anyway, to the OP I would say, I just have a nightly rsnaphot backup running that grabs
19 large chunks of /var (along with all of /etc, /home, and some of /usr). So all my mail is
20 backed up without doing anything fancy (I also backup mysql and postgres in there). My
21 worst case would be losing the drive at about eleven or twelve at night, which would lose
22 me a whole day's mail.
23
24 Of course, then there's the time it would take me to get a replacement mail server
25 responding (ugh) but that a whole other story.
26
27 b
30 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list