From: Dormando <dormando@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:23:23
1 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
2 > * only updated quarterly
3 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
4 > tree
5 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
6 >
7 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
8 >
9 > --kurt
10
11 I vote for #2 as well. Whether or not there is a larger amount of QA on
12 the main portage tree, the server folks still need to deal with *features*
13 changing. Along those lines, if there were a way to display changelogs of
14 packages along with the portage update mechanisms, it would make my job a
15 lot easier (if this is possible already, mind me). I was/am always getting
16 bitten by debian packages changing something awful important, and me not
17 knowing until I go dig into the package's changelog file *after* it's
18 installed.
19
20 -Dormando