From: Benjamin Smee <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: David Miller <david3d@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] LVM2 issues
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:08:02
1 lo,
2
3 On Tuesday 31 May 2005 17:49, David Miller wrote:
4 > I've been running LVM2 now for some time but recently I have not
5 > been able to update device-mapper or lvm2 without vgscan failing to
6 > find all the pv's. So I'm stuck using lvm2-2.00.25 and device-mapper
7 > 1.00.19-r2.
8 > Now one thing to note is that a few of my pv's were added as the
9 > entire device rather than a partition. Could this be throwing a newer
10 > version for a loop since it may first be looking for an LVM partition
11 > before looking for a vg metadata? Or have I just overlooked something
12 > that I need to do in order to migrate my current vg's up to the newer
13 > versions?
14
15 There is nothing that you need to do to "migrate" your lvm2 partitions to a
16 newer format, whatever problem that you have will be something local not
17 generic as many people are successfully using the latest versions of both
18 with no problems. You could start off running the vgscan in debug mode and
19 letting us know the relevant output, and if that fails try running it with a
20 strace or similar util to see precisely what is happening. Other pertinant
21 questions are things like, are you using udev? with persistant devices (ie
22 the tarball option in the rc.conf) what version of baselayout are you using,
23 do you have devfs enabled?
24
25 regards,
28 Benjamin Smee (strerror)
29 497F 5E98 1FA0 C313 EA0B 08C7 004A 66ED 448B E78C