From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:25:47
1 Sean Cook wrote:
2 > Redhat In their manual:
3 > "With today's fast CPUs, Software RAID performance can excel against
4 > Hardware RAID."
5 >
6 > As I stated before, it depends on where your bottleneck is... if you
7 > are not cpu bound, software raid is great! and will boost IO through
8 > put on comparable hardware. If you are already CPU bound, forget
9 > software raid, it will degrade your system to a crawl...
10
11 Badly done tests circa 1998 without any sort of methodology, mention of
12 cluster sizes, etc is proof than any idiot can make a computer slower.
13
14 I'll argue that a fully supported hard raid card is always superior to
15 a software raid by it's very nature, having local I/O cache and a
16 dedicated chip. However there are definitely workloads where a software
17 raid is good enough that spending money on a hardware raid card is
18 pointless. I can not imagine a case where all things being equal that
19 software raid would be measurably faster.
20
21 In the event that removing your RAID card makes your disk 5x faster I'd
22 also recommend removing the admin who setup the original system as well. :-)
23
24 kashani
25 --
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list