From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo PXE
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:46:37
1 On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 08:54, Scott Ryan wrote:
2 > Hello all, I am trying to setup a pxe boot server for gentoo.
3 > Gentoo Manages to boot from the network, but I run into problems after it
4 > installs the initial modules. It complains about the root device. I append
5 > the arg root=/dev/ram0 to the kernel, but it borks.
6 > Has anyone managed to successfully setup a gentoo pxe server, as there doesnt
7 > appear to be a lot of info on the web about it.
8
9 I've done it, but I used an NFS root, and did not use any ramdisks. I
10 used pxelinux, which is part of sys-boot/syslinux. Your DHCP settings
11 (assuming you use the ISC DHCP) should look something like this:
12
13 next-server tftp.cluster.pri;
14 option root-path
15 "172.18.0.2:/vol/ops/cluster/clients/%s,v3,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768";
16 filename "pxelinux.0";
17
18 And the pxelinux config looks like this:
19
20 DEFAULT bzImage root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp
21 --
22 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
23 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA
24
25 Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.