From: Robert Sanders <rob-lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] su program and its limitations.
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:39:57
1 On Monday 26 April 2004 12:12 pm, Miguel Sousa Filipe wrote:
2 > I had users that were used to execute tomcat, or a sybase database, and
3 > now they are obliged to have a shell. There is no need for those users
4 > to have a shell.
5
6 One possibility is to give them a shell with no remote login. Commonly I edit
7 sshd configs to only allow certain users. Regardless of shell they cannot
8 login.
9
10 Another possible solution would be sudo, but I havent worked with it in this
11 situation as much.
12
13 > Congrats to the gentoo developers, gentoo is "emerging" in the
14 > enterprise world..
15
16 Take gentoo as it is, good and bad. As a commercial replacement for Suse it's
17 not. Depending on you and your application, that can be good or bad. A wise
18 administrator fills his tool box with many tools, and gentoo is both a
19 powerfull and dangerous one.
20
21 Rob