From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Web hosting for 75k+ users
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:10:18
1 Jeremy Kitchen wrote:
2
3 >>Should I use qmail or postfix and why?
6 > qmail. It's faster, more secure, and easier to use than postfix, and
7 > you're not losing sleep at night wondering if a new version is going to
8 > be out the next day. You can patch in almost any feature you'd want,
9 > most of the patches are well made, and the support (both free, and
10 > commercial ;) community for qmail is excellent.
11 >
12 > qmail is completely secure by design, and has a spotless security
13 > history.
14
15 I'm with Jeremy on this one. qmail is the way to go, but for the
16 scalability you're talking about, qmail-ldap is the ticket. You can
17 define all users, user attributes such as forwarding addresses,
18 alternate addresses (aliases), quotas, vacation messages, mailstore
19 servers, and more natively in the ldap schema. Native clustering support
20 using qmail-qmpd and some enhanced clustering capabilities are available
21 as well. Virtual domain support, etc.
22
23 Someone mentioned that qmail does not bounce during the SMTP
24 conversation. True for stock qmail, but qmail-ldap has some features you
25 can turn on that prevent this situation (attempts to deliver to badly
26 formatted addresses, non-existent users, etc.) RBL support is compiled
27 in for a little more spam protection. All in all the integration is
28 fantastic and works like a charm on huge scales. One other thing: pop3
29 and/or imap authentication can plug in to the qmail-ldap authentication
30 modules seamlessly. No more trying to use Courier's ldap auth module or
31 maintain a seperate user database, for example. Administration: find
32 your favorite LDAP administration tool or use the qmail-ldap one out there.
33
34 >>What about antispam and antivirus? Any suggestions/experiences?
37 > very common configuration is spamassassin/clamav/qmail-scanner. I do
38 > not recommend doing content filtering as messages are passing into the
39 > queue, only virus scanning.
40
41 I currently use this exact setup. qmail-scanner is a very clean
42 filtering interface and qmail-ldap supports the QMAILQUEUE patch
43 natively so you'd be set. I've got spamassassin configured just to tag a
44 low-footprint header on spam detection - never rejecting or deleting
45 mail. Clamav is a good active project and has been able to detect every
46 new virus we've had a concern about. Technically, you could go with
47 another alternate (shudder: commercial) AV vendor, but it's becoming
48 less and less advantageous as time goes on.
49
50 You may be able to offset the load imposed by content filtering by
51 accepting all messages on a front end box to ensure delivery, and then
52 filter on an smtp-route behind that. Your load should not put you past
53 the point where you would start to drop messages due to filtering
54 processing in this case.
55
56 >>I have some experience using squirrel web mail. Any suggestions here?
59 > squirrelmail and horde are both excellent.
60
61 Agreed. Another option is omail-webmail which bypasses the IMAP
62 connection to the server and does direct Maildir access: faster message
63 access, less load on the server due to IMAP resources, but less
64 features. It still provides a clean interface. I'm trying to get the
65 omail-webmail developer to build a qmail-ldap auth module to accomplish
66 the same thing as above.
67
68 DS