From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: [OT] Mirroring/backing-up a large
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:15:59
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, kashani wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm not sold on the Google approach.
5 >>
6 >> Assuming someone was to build nine data servers we're talking roughly
7 >> $3k per server (dual CPU, 4GB ram, raid 5 sata) or $30k with shipping
8 >> and tax.
9 >
10 > Actually Google use the cheapest hardware they can find, buy in bulk, and
11 > they assume stuff will fail so they plan accordingly. I very much doubt
12 > they spend $3K per server...
15 Anyone trying to build the same with a purchase of less than 100 servers
16 is not going to spend much less.
17
18 2 x 2GB RAM = $1000
19 2 x CPU = $500 or so
20 Raid Card = $300
21 Drives = $100 each
22 1u chassis/MB/etc = $500
23
24 IIRC they drop the drives and shove everything into RAM. Which is fine
25 when you have a limited data set and enough machines to shove it into
26 RAM. Originally Google did have a limited data set. It was only after
27 the infrastructure reached a critical size that they began Google mail
28 and other large storage things. And had fours years to work out the
29 operational kinks.
30
31 I think it unlikely that someone with a single storage set has enough
32 money or time to pay for a few Phds to write a custom filesystem, a few
33 hundred servers (10TB/4GB), and the datacenter monkey necessary to
34 replace gear constantly... oddly Google has both of these in spades. And
35 if you read the whitepaper the smallest Google data cluster is nineteen
36 servers, aka $40-60k for schleps like us, aka the cost of a SAN that
37 that uses less power and burns less switch ports.
38
39 This infatuation with the Google stuff that very few people (ie none of
40 us) have the in house infrastructure to handle or the available cash is
41 useless. Unless someone has actually built their own mini Google and
42 wants to tell us all about it with nice numbers like total cost, source
43 code, transactions per second, cost per GB of user data, throughput, and
44 other data points.
45
46 kashani
47 --