From: Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Pure-initramfs boot
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:03:09
1 Karl,
2
3 I've built a custom stage4 with catalyst based on a recent portage
4 snapshot, including several tools I want to use in any environment I
5 boot into (netcat, rsync, vim, less, zsh, gentoolkit, etc). I've also
6 built a custom minimal install cd based on that stage4 and a 2.6.25-r7
7 kernel (now with less data corruption!).
8
9 I'll probably develop an overlay for the stage4 (though not, I
10 suppose, the cd) that takes the hostname from DHCP and decides what to
11 do. I don't know, I haven't thought through this really clearly yet.
12
13 All our systems still have harddrives, so I think what might be most
14 useful to me is to boot into something that simply mounts the local
15 filesystems, an rsync's down any changes to the golden image on my
16 boot server. I tried using Puppet for system configuration management
17 for a while, but it will never offer the degree of control and
18 precision that the system I'm proposing would, and the degree
19 abstraction it offers isn't worth the complexity that comes with it.
20
21 I do plan on making a repo on github to share what I come up with. It
22 isn't much yet, but could prove useful to someone.
23
24 I'll send a message when I've done so; ping me if you haven't heard
25 anything by the end of the week (and care).
26
27 Cheers,
28 Peter
29