From: Jan Meier <jan.meier@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:42:42
1 Am Mittwoch 16 August 2006 16:11 schrieb Paul Kölle:
2 > Jan Meier wrote:
3 > > Am Mittwoch 16 August 2006 15:12 schrieb Paul Kölle:
4 > >> Jan Meier wrote:
5 > >>> I would be willing to start such a stable tree, I am thinking of taking
6 > >>> a current portage tree, delete all ~arch ebuilds and create an overlay.
7 > >>> Every time a security announcement is fired up I will add the newer
8 > >>> ebuild to the overlay, checking for any really needed depencies.
9 > >>
10 > >> ~arch doesn't hurt, so the main difference to glsa-check+standard tree
11 > >> would be old ebuilds not being deleted right?
12 > >
13 > > No, the advantage would be that new ebuilds would not come into the
14 > > portage tree. Only security relevant ebuilds, formerly which fix security
15 > > holes, would come into the tree (kernel, php, mysql, apache, etc. should
16 > > not be stopped from entering the portage tree).
17 >
18 > Sorry, I don't get it. Why are you concerned about packages in the tree
19 > you don't use? Is it about space savings?
20
21 Eh, no. In my opinion it is clear what I want to say, so I have nothing to
22 add.
23
24 > > This has the advantage that there would be less packages to update when
25 > > the system has to be updated. And if there are security relevant updates
26 > > there would not be as much dependency updates as with the normal tree.
27 >
28 > The depgraph of a bumped package does not depend on being bumped due to
29 > a GLSA or not. If you only use glsa-check, you will get GLSA triggered
30 > upgrades only and glsa-check will emerge the lowest safe version
31 > possible. Keeping old versions around is sufficient to prevent unneeded
32 > upgrades. If you want something like "emerge -u --stable world", well
33 > then you would need a dedicated tree for --stable but thats way more
34 > work than just deleting ~arch ebuilds you wouldn't use anyway.
35
36 The ~arch ebuilds are not the point, the stable ebuilds which potentially be
37 upgraded are the point. If you say that glsa-check does only update the
38 package which is security relevant and tries not to update the dependencies
39 then this is what I want.
40
41 Regards
42