From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] pam-login and shadow conflict
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:29:02
1 On 01/06/06, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I just want to add that the developer flameyes has blogged about this issue:
4 >
5 > http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/flameeyes/2006/03/19/the_shadow_and_pam_login_conflict
6 >
7 > One of the comments rather sensibly suggests to use the following
8 > command instead (collision protection will be disabled which allows
9 > the order to be reversed and thus, there is no danger of losing
10 > /bin/login at any time during the procedure):
11 >
12 > FEATURES=-collision-protect emerge --nodeps shadow && emerge --unmerge pam-login
15 Hi all,
16
17 I realise that this issue is probably a little stale by now but I had
18 cause to discuss this with someone on IRC very recently which prompted
19 me to consider the matter further. It occurred to me that the
20 following should make for an even neater solution:
21
22 # touch /bin/login && emerge -C pam-login && emerge shadow
23
24 The reason is that portage won't remove files where the timestamp is
25 newer than that indicated in the package's manifest under /var/db/pkg.
26 So it will preserve /bin/login whilst uninstalling the reast of
27 pam-login and will replace it when it merges the shadow package. And
28 we get to avoid the nasty --nodeps hack (which, in the previous
29 suggestion, is needed because of the block).
30
31 Cheers,
32
33 --Kerin