From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portage syncing
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:58:18
1 Justin Krejci wrote:
2 > Maybe this is old news?
3 >
4 > I have written a quick little script to help prevent a server from syncing its
5 > portage tree more than once per 24 hours. Syncing more frequently is more
6 > likely to happen on a server with multiple admins, so instead of keeping
7 > track of when anyone syncs the tree we now just use this little script. We
8 > use esearch instead of calling emerge directly but the script can be adjusted
9 > very easily.
10 >
11 > If anyone has come up with a better way to do this, I'd love to see it.
12 Why not setup a local rsync mirror ?
13
14 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/rsync.xml
15 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Local_Rsync_Mirror
16
17 pros:
18 - it's easy and guarantees consistence also across different machines
19 (on my skin, it's simplify the life)
20 - synced once emerge is smart enough to understand that you're trying to
21 sync to a mirror with the same timestamp avoiding to sync again.
22 - save bandwith and resource (also on mirror side, thanks ;)
23
24 cons:
25 - few megabytes wasted for an additional tree
26 - rsync is a resource eater, the server which run it may have peak of
27 cpu usage
28
29 regards,
30 Francesco Riosa