From: Tomek Lutelmowski <tomek@×××××.pl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] postgresql 8.1.4, pgpool-3.0.1
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:46:48
1 On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:49:45 -0800, Lord Sauron wrote
2 > On 11/5/06, Tomek Lutelmowski <tomek@×××××.pl> wrote:
3 > > Does anybody has any issues when switching to PostgreSQL 8.1 or pgpool
4 3.x ?
5 > > I see PostgreSQL has threading support since 8.1, could you tell how does
6 it
7 > > affect performance?
8 >
9 > The only time I can think of multithreading being a advantage would
10 > be if you have multiple processors or multi-core chip. You should also
11 > consider the server load. If you don't process that much, I wouldn't
12 > bother starting a Crusade to change your SQL server if it isn't going
13 > to give you some worthwhile ROI.
14 >
15 > I'd have to know more about your implementation to make a definitive
16 > recommendation. However, just to restate, if you have a high-load
17 > server that also has multiple cores or multiple processors, I'd
18 > consider making use of a multi-threaded product. Otherwise? I
19 > wouldn't (personally) bother with it.
20
21 Thank you for your reply. I have 2xdual opteron server, load is not very high
22 (about 5 simple transactions / second, 0.2 load - I dont know how to measure
23 exact SQL load), but if upgrade is easy (I dont use OIDs), and 8.1 is stable,
24 I'll try. I have doubt that it is stable because it is still masked ~amd64.
28 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list