From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] gentoo and portage in a large scale environment
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:26:30
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Joe Rizzo wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am looking at deploying a large scale installation of systems running
5 >> Gentoo. (Large scale being 200-300 systems) Currently, I am mainly
6 >> concerned with how to handle portage and packages.
7
8 I've been wanting to deal with that myself, but haven't had a chance to
9 figure out the best method to do so. I'd be interested in what you come
10 up with in the end that works!
13 > Although it pains me to say it, I'd suggest not using emerge's remote
14 > binary package feature. Instead, you'd be much safer to rsync the binary
15 > packages as well and use portage with the local package repository. To
16 > be quite honest, that particular feature in it's current implementation
17 > is basically unmaintained and has several obscure bugs that hit often.
18 > This will be rectified in the next major portage release, but until then
19 > the ideas and methods you outlined would be your best bet.
20
21 Also, if you include updates from the main tree that include movement of
22 packages between categories, sometimes the binary packages will get
23 broken because of that. I'm sure Jason can point out the problem with
24 that, but I've been bit by that a few times myself.
25
26 > As for the actual rolling out of upgrades and configuration changes,
27 > I've heard many people rave about cfengine. I believe it is used
28 > extensively throughout gentoo's own infrastructure as well. I haven't
29 > spent the time to learn it myself yet though so can't offer any advice
30 > beyond that either.
31
32 Yes, if you want to do simple config pushes, cfengine would be the
33 perfect fit. We do use it throughout all of Gentoo's infrastructure and
34 makes our life much easier (though, sometimes its a pain). Just make
35 sure you read up on their documentation (which is great), and maybe add
36 yourself to their help mailing list.
39 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
40 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
41
42 ---
43 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
44 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
45
46 ramereth/irc.freenode.net