From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] xen intel vt - slightly [OT]
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 17:42:07
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >> Also it seems that you could have more than one of these privilidged
4 >> osses installed at the same time sharing different parts of the
5 >> hardware.
6 >>
7 > in theory yes, I don't know how well that is supported
8 >
9 [snip]
10 only one os (dom0) access the hardware, it run at ring 0, on 32 bit
11 machines there are 5 rings[#1], the other kernels (domU) run at ring 1,
12 the userspace software always run at ring 5.
13
14 There are a set of cpu instruction that help using interrupts to
15 virtualize the hardware access (also prior to vt).
16 For tecnical reasons amd64 only kept ring 0 and 5 making it impossible
17 for kernels like xen to continue working like before.
18
19 Both 32 bit and 64 bit, intel or amd are developing a tecnology to help
20 virtualization "vt" for intel "pacifica" for amd [#2][#3].
21 [#2] should explain the concept deepere and better, also for what vt does.
22
23 Xen will take advantage from both I think.
24
25 Don't know the others, so only these 2 ˆcents ;)
26
27 [resnip]
30 [#1] the number may differ from 5 due to my broken memory
31 [#2]
32 http://www.itarchitect.com/shared/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=172302134
33 [#3] http://www.google.it/search?q=amd+vt+virtualization
34 --