From: Georges Toth <georges@××××.lu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: "Longman, Bill" <longman@×××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql upgrade from 4.0.x to 4.1.x or 5.x.x
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:24:09
1 > The upgrade from 4.0.25 to 4.0.27 alone was a PITA. I think it was even
2 > worse than the 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade because I didn't see any messages
3 > beforehand.
4 > I had to crawl around through the (WONDERFUL) Forums for an
5 > answer. (I had to zap the ib files and change the config files).
6
7 What exactly was your problem ?
8 What did you have to change in your config files ?
11 > If you follow the 4.0 to 4.1 guide, it will work quite well. I did it on
12 > two systems and it was very easy. It requires a dump and reload, but it's
13 > actually an easy process. It's well documented. I strongly suggest you
14 > print it out, read it through several times to familiarize yourself and
15 > give it a go. (I have one system left that I haven't upgraded from 4.0 to
16 > 4.1, but I'm handing it off to my protege.)
17
18 That's good to hear
21 > Make sure you read up on the
22 > UTF-8 issues. You should be well armed with all this in your brain before
23 > you let your fingers start emerging....
24
25 I guess if I set a default charset to what is currently being used as charset,
26 there shouldn't be any problems, right ?
29 Thanks for your help
33 regards,
34 Georges Toth
35 --