From: radu herinean <radu@××××.ro>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] sshd (many connection attempts with invalid user)
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 16:55:57
1 There's a much better way to protect yourself. Install a firewall and
2 deny access to that ip address. More than that, if you are on a static
3 IP when you connect (or more, but known addresses) simply deny from all
4 ip and allow ssh port only to those that you can trust (yours). Even
5 more, change the ssh server port to something very different.
6 If you are not familiar with firewalls you could install webmin (emerge
7 webmin) and do it from there, eventually via shorewall (emerge
8 shorewall). Don't forget to secure the webmin server as well (same as
9 for sshd) after your firewall is up and running.
10 Also, be very carefull when installing the firewall for the first time
11 if you don't have phisical access to the server. You don't want to lock
12 yourself out by mistake. Eventually you could not add your firewall to
13 your startup list until you are sure it's all ok and if you accidentally
14 mess up you can call your provider and ask for a reboot ;)
15 I am surfing here, and I got far from the subject. Let us know if it
16 helps.
17 Radu
18
19 -----Original Message-----
20 From: Claudinei Matos [mailto:claudineimatos@×××××.com]
21 Sent: 6 mai 2005 19:47
22 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
23 Subject: [gentoo-server] sshd (many connection attempts with invalid
24 user)
27 Hi,
28
29 I have a lot of connection attempts in my ssh server. I've take a look
30 at sshd_config man pages but I didn't found a way to deny the source
31 ip of the attempts by 5 minutes (i.e.) if this ip can't login after 5
32 attempts (i.e.). Is there a way to do this?
33
34 Tks,
35
36 Claudinei Matos