From: John Barton <jbarton@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:55:36
1 Greetings,
2 I would like to cast my vote for #2. I run an ISP almost entirely on
3 gentoo servers, and although I like the constant updates on my laptop,
4 etc., It seems to take a fair amount of time trying to ensure my servers
5 all have a similar profile that I know works. I may update 1 server and
6 test the updates, and by the time those are ready to go live there are
7 more pending. Gentoo has been my primary OS for some time now, and I have
8 happily been replacing FreeBSD and SuSE servers as fast as I can :) Thanks
9 again to everyone for all the great work
10 -John
11
12 John Barton
13 jbarton@××××××××××××××.net
14
15 > I have never really looked into how portage is made up to deeply but I
16 > would imagine that doing
17 > number 2 would have the most benefit and if you are using cvs as I think
18 > you are then you might be
19 > able to just have a different branch in the tree that has like a 6 month
20 > life span. By default you would get
21 > the bleeding edge stuff so that it gets tested more but for those who
22 > needed a slower moving target
23 > they could just change the module they are rsyncing too from
24 > gentoo-portage to gentoo-stable-portage
25 > or something like that.
26 >
27 > Provided the mirrors don't mind the extra space usage number 2 is going
28 > to be the way to go because
29 > it is going to be easier to implement IMO and have the most benefits.
30 > The part I am not sure about is
31 > at what point would something qualify to make it into stable ?
32 >
33 > Kurt Lieber wrote:
34 >
35 >>All --
36 >>
37 >>I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question that has come
38 >> up
39 >>recently.
40 >>
41 >>There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
42 >>we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA
43 >> for
44 >>the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
45 >>dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
46 >>
47 >>If you were given the choice between:
48 >>
49 >>1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
50 >>2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
51 >> * only updated quarterly
52 >> * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
53 >> tree
54 >> * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
55 >>
56 >>Which would you find more valuable and why?
57 >>
58 >>--kurt
62 > --
63 > Rodney Amato
64 > Systems Administrator
65 > http://www.squiz.net
66 >>> 92 Jarrett St Leichhardt, Sydney, NSW 2040 ...>
67 > T: + 61 2 9568 6866
68 > F: + 61 2 9568 6733
69 > .....>> Open Source - Own it - Squiz.net ...../>