From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server Packages for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:35:42
1 Robert Bridge wrote:
2 > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:55:21 +0100
3 > "Kerin Millar" <kerframil@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Well, this post turned out to be a lot longer than I had anticipated.
6 >> But I've seen so many comments that allude to Gentoo somehow being
7 >> unfit for purpose because it doesn't freeze off a so-called "stable"
8 >> tree so many times that, frankly, I get fed up with it and figured
9 >> that something had to be said. Gentoo, whilst certainly having its
10 >> fair share of foibles, doesn't get enough credit for the things that
11 >> it does well and the things that it does right. If one doesn't like
12 >> the way that Gentoo does things then there are surely other distros
13 >> out there that will meet one's expectations, such as they are.
14 >
15 > Right, imagine a live server getting hit by the expat problem, or a
16 > major gcc/glibc change? They hurt, they seriously hurt.
17
18 Unless you tested them on your test box.
19
20 > That's what the "static package" people are referring to. A server that
21 > can be set up, and once running should need minimal updating, for
22 > security reasons. You can't do that safely in Gentoo.
23
24 Been doing it for six years in production.
25
26 > Some people are happy with regularly changing packages, restarting
27 > services every month because a new version of the server is in tree,
28 > dealing with the breakage induced by things like python upgrades, bash
29 > upgrades, portage upgrades, gcc upgrades, ...
30
31 Or not dealing with any breakages because we did our jobs as admins and
32 wrote up an actual upgrade plan which we then tested on staging. Which
33 is the same thing anyone who does not want an outage does whether it's
34 Gentoo, Oracle, RHEL, Cisco, Windows, whatever. People who take their
35 distros word for anything eventually have outages.
36
37 > But for a 24/7 uptime on a high load server, most people consider those
38 > to be unacceptable. Now Gentoo can be got to not do those, but as
39 > anyone will tell you, updating a Gentoo box after a year is painful,
40 > and when you have to update to cover a critical security hole? Now try updating a Debian box after a year?
41
42 Don't wait a year to apply updates?
43
44 > Don't mistake one awkward piece of software which is not supported in
45 > the other distros for the general properties of those distros. Gentoo
46 > is good for tweaking, it's good for doing "Your own thing", that does
47 > not make it automagically better than Debian or RHEL, or SLES in the
48 > high-stability stakes. And, sorry to say this, one nice anecdote
49 > doesn't either.
50
51 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-504541.html
52
53 One of the strengths that people tend to miss.
54 "Where Gentoo has really shines is in projects that fail. No really.
55 We've all done that "hey lets try upgrading to Apache 2.2 and see how
56 well it works." In Gentoo you change a few lines, emerge apache, run
57 some tests, realize it's not quite there, change a few lines, emerge
58 apache again, and you're back to where you started. Total time about two
59 hours.
60 Or even projects that go somewhere. "Hey I need X packages for testing."
61 Gentoo installs, some minor tweaks, and hand off to the dev. When we go
62 to production I know I can get the same package because I let Gentoo do
63 the work rather than half ass a build because I didn't have time for non
64 production issues when the project had no priority. Naturally there some
65 changes in config in production, but we can go to production faster
66 without having to repackage, re QA, and then release. "
67
68 kashani