From: Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:32:56
1 Christian Spoo wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I need to set up a RAID box of about 470GB disk space accessible via
5 > GBit LAN.
6 >
7 > The whole thing should have good performance but must be reliable as
8 > well. Which RAID mode would you recommend, 5, 0+1 or maybe any other?
9 > How about the time needed for rebuilding such arrays in case of disk
10 > failure?
13 > Thanks in advance,
14 >
15 > Christian Spoo
16 >
17 I work with about 10 systems that have RAID5 all have between 300GB and
18 1.5TB of space.
19
20 The slowest old systems with 3 or 4 disks IDE 200GB can rebuild raid5
21 at about 25MB/sec.
22
23 Newer faster systems with 3 or 4 SATA 500GB disks can rebuild raid5 at
24 about 60MB/sec.
25
26 The RAID5 storage servers can always saturate a 100mbps LAN connection
27 in my case. Doing a copy over a gbit LAN, of large multimedia files from
28 one RAID5 to another RAID5 server over NFSv3, I see about 30MB/sec
29 max. Sorry i don't have exact benchmarks to show you, only what I
30 recall seeing in the last few months.
31
32 For your needs, assuming you have to buy new disks, 2x 500GB disks in
33 RAID1 and your done.
40 Karl Hiramoto http://karl.hiramoto.org/
43 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list