From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portscanning worm?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:25:30
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm not completely sure that I am hearing you right, so please bear with me if
4 I miss the mark on this one.
5
6 Is it just a web server? If so, it might be worth looking into mod_security.
7 As well, I would make sure that it has a firewall setup (maybe iptables or
8 ipchains). These two should provide some sound mechanisms for recording
9 connections to the site as well as denying some known attacks. You should be
10 able to find pre-built configurations for these as well.
11
12 Something else you might want to do is head on over to:
13 http://www.securityfocus.com/vulnerabilities
14
15 With that site, you can look for software that is on your server that may be
16 vulnerable.
17
18 With post-intrusion analysis, something to look for may be files owned by the
19 user that the web server is running as (or whatever other services are
20 running). A lot of times /tmp is a default place to go for script kiddies,
21 simply because it is a world writeable directory. If you do find executables
22 in there, you can usually run the command "strings" on them and then search
23 google for the miscellanious strings you find. This will often identify the
24 exploit they used in the form of source code. I have used this approach to
25 identify many things about an intruder in the past, it actually works pretty
26 well.
27
28 I'm not sure that rkhunter or chkrootkit will help much considering they
29 function best if they were installed before the intrusion, but they may still
30 be able to provide you with info. On redhat, I seem to remember there being
31 a way to check file integrity using the rpm tools. Unfortunately, I don't
32 remember since I haven't touched redhat since I landed on gentoo. ;-)
33
34 If they haven't been able to cover their tracks, you may find an IP address
35 somewhere that connected to your box. You may want to do lookups using dig,
36 nslookup, whois, or whatever tools you have available. You should be able to
37 identify the ISP, if not the exact company with the offending box. As well,
38 you may use grep on /var/log and usually find other ways they tried to get in
39 (this is usually a sign of a targeted attack as opposed to just an automated
40 attack that discovered your redhat box).
41
42 Another fun place to use an IP you have discovered is on this site:
43 http://www.dshield.org
44
45 I hope this helps, I wanted to provide more rather than less as incidents can
46 get pretty sticky with politics and pointy fingers.
47
48 Good luck, and happy hunting!
49
50 Robert Larson