From: "Jonathan S. Romero" <jonnyro@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] interesting occurence
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:30:45
1 Can you check your syslogs to check for reboots?
2
3 If you get a reboot without the corresponding service shutdown messages,
4 then you might have had some hard shutdowns.
5
6 -Jonathan S. Romero
7
8 Ben Munat wrote:
9
10 > Unfortunately, this is my only server -- handling several live sites
11 > and email -- and I don't have the funds to rent another server while I
12 > figure out what's up with this. I will, however, talk to the hosting
13 > company... not sure what they could do but...
14 >
15 > The machine -- a celeron 1.8 gHz, I believe -- had a basic gentoo
16 > system on it when we rented it, and then I emerged all the apps I
17 > wanted. So, I didn't set up the partitions or the filesystems. Here's
18 > the fstab:
19 >
20 > /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 1
21 > /dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 0
22 > /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
23 >
24 > Haven't seen any other filesystem glitches, but it was inaccessible
25 > for a bit last week. (That could have been the whole hosting company
26 > though.) Maybe there was a hard crash around then.
27 >
28 > Well, I dunno... I appreciate your advice. Was hoping, however, that
29 > someone one the list had actually heard of this sort of thing
30 > occuring. I'll talk to the hosting company... maybe they'll just move
31 > me to another machine to be safe.
32 >
33 > Ben
36 > Jonathan S. Romero wrote:
37 >
38 >> That's fairly high in the scary meter. I would be surprised if the
39 >> problem lies with qmail.
40 >> I would reccomend taking the system down for testing, including long
41 >> cpu tests, and memory stability tests, from a liveCD.
42 >>
43 >> What filesystem were you using again? Any RAID configuration, special
44 >> processor settings? It really looks like the filesystem got messed
45 >> up somehow.
46 >>
47 >> -Jonathan S. Romero
48 >>
49 >> Ben Munat wrote:
50 >>
51 >>> Not sure what you mean "maildir style names"... the names of the
52 >>> files were random bits of (I believe) a single email. So, the file
53 >>> listing looked something like this:
54 >>>
55 >>> root@foo>ls
56 >>> somerealfile.txt
57 >>> myrealpackage.tgz
58 >>> been meaning to call and talk to him but I
59 >>> anotherrealfile.jpg
60 >>> the other day. So, Bob was saying that I could probably get a
61 >>> anotherfile
62 >>> etc.
63 >>>
64 >>> This isn't an actual listing... I deleted the files already. They
65 >>> were empty files and their names were seemingly random bits of text.
66 >>> However, I recognized pieces of that text to have come from an email
67 >>> that my Aunt sent me a while back.
68 >>>
69 >>> Very strange.
70 >>>
71 >>> Ben
72 >>>
73 >>>
74 >>> Jonathan S. Romero wrote:
75 >>>
76 >>>> Did the files have maildir style names?
77 >>>>
78 >>>> -Jonathan
79 >>>>
80 >>>> Ben Munat wrote:
81 >>>>
82 >>>>> Here's a weird occurence that has me stumped. Logged into my
83 >>>>> gentoo server and did an "ls" in root's home directory. Mixed in
84 >>>>> with all the files I expected in there were a number of empty text
85 >>>>> files... and here's the strange part: the names of the files were
86 >>>>> random snippets from an email that I received a while back!
87 >>>>>
88 >>>>> Now, if I remember correctly, that email was actually routed to
89 >>>>> root, so I guess at least the email that got sliced up into file
90 >>>>> names did come from root's maildir... it didn't come from
91 >>>>> somewhere else on the system. But I had thrown that email away a
92 >>>>> long time ago... though, I haven't done an "ls" in root's home dir
93 >>>>> in a while, so I'm not sure how long the files have been there.
94 >>>>>
95 >>>>> Well, I'm running qmail... anyone have any ideas how text from a
96 >>>>> mail file gets scattered around as names of files?
97 >>>>>
98 >>>>> Ben
99 >>>>>
100 >>>>