From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] interesting occurence
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:28:19
1 Not sure what you mean "maildir style names"... the names of the files
2 were random bits of (I believe) a single email. So, the file listing
3 looked something like this:
4
5 root@foo>ls
6 somerealfile.txt
7 myrealpackage.tgz
8 been meaning to call and talk to him but I
9 anotherrealfile.jpg
10 the other day. So, Bob was saying that I could probably get a
11 anotherfile
12 etc.
13
14 This isn't an actual listing... I deleted the files already. They were
15 empty files and their names were seemingly random bits of text. However,
16 I recognized pieces of that text to have come from an email that my Aunt
17 sent me a while back.
18
19 Very strange.
20
21 Ben
24 Jonathan S. Romero wrote:
25 > Did the files have maildir style names?
26 >
27 > -Jonathan
28 >
29 > Ben Munat wrote:
30 >
31 >> Here's a weird occurence that has me stumped. Logged into my gentoo
32 >> server and did an "ls" in root's home directory. Mixed in with all the
33 >> files I expected in there were a number of empty text files... and
34 >> here's the strange part: the names of the files were random snippets
35 >> from an email that I received a while back!
36 >>
37 >> Now, if I remember correctly, that email was actually routed to root,
38 >> so I guess at least the email that got sliced up into file names did
39 >> come from root's maildir... it didn't come from somewhere else on the
40 >> system. But I had thrown that email away a long time ago... though, I
41 >> haven't done an "ls" in root's home dir in a while, so I'm not sure
42 >> how long the files have been there.
43 >>
44 >> Well, I'm running qmail... anyone have any ideas how text from a mail
45 >> file gets scattered around as names of files?
46 >>
47 >> Ben