From: Craig Webster <craig@××××××.net>
To: Dennis McLeod <dennis@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Corporate Mail server HARDWARE question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:37:43
1 On 1 Aug 2006, at 05:08, Dennis McLeod wrote:
2 > I'm curious what hardware you build on. Do you buy Dell, HP, build
3 > your
4 > own, or do something else?
5
6 I'd go with a Dell SC1425. Get them to put in 2 80Gb SATA drives and
7 buy an Adaptec RAID card so you can RAID1 them for a bit of data
8 security. Sure, you could build it cheaper if you really tried, but
9 is it worth it? They only cost ~£600 for what you'll need.
10
11 Where you'll really save money is by buying RAM from Crucial instead
12 of Dell. For what Dell charge for an extra 512Mb you can get 2Gb from
13 Crucial.
14
15 > What level of hardware would you use for an email only server with
16 > this
17 > number of accounts?
18
19 SC1425, 512Mb RAM, 2 RAID1 80Gb SATA drives.
20
21 Actually, I use a Xen VM with 512Mb RAM sitting on top of an SC1425
22 with 2Gb RAM and 2 RAID1 SATA drives which uses a hub-and-spoke mail
23 delivery model to push mail to the servers which host the domains,
24 but the idea is the same :)
25
26 Xen allows me to have separate SMTP, MX, NS etc servers within one
27 physical host, each with a dedicated RAM allocation. Virtualisation
28 is a great word to chuck at management and if you do a little reading
29 you can get a CPU that'll let you run unmodified Windows VMs on top
30 of your Xen install which can be handy in a mixed environment.
31
32 > What if you added print and file services?
33
34 Stick in a bit more RAM and a second processor and you'll be fine.
35 Ideally you want a second server for file services, and printers
36 which have their own network interface but money might not stretch
37 that far.
38
39 > What do you use for backup?
40
41 A separate server with RAID5 and huge hard drives, only accessible
42 from a dedicated network -- not the same one that everyone else is
43 connected to! Because it'll only be accessed when the backups are
44 happening, these drives are bought for size rather than speed to save
45 money.
46
47 Use rsnapshot. It's easy to setup and only saves the change deltas so
48 takes up much less space.
49
50 Have you thought about completely outsourcing your mail system
51 instead of keeping it with the website provider? It's probably be
52 cheaper and easier in the long run.
53
54 Cheers,
55 Craig
56 --
57 No long-term contracts, no complicated signup forms, no hidden costs.
58 Xeriom 2.0: Web hosting made easy. Coming soon! http://xeriom.net/
63 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list