From: Matthew Lange <mmlange@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] A few questions about portage
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:50:28
1 I originally did that to see the difference between 'emerge system' and
2 'emerge world', since system packages are supposed to only be the ones
3 necessary for the operation of the system.
4
5 I have a lot of boxes that I manage, so I can't always afford the
6 compile time/downtime on all of them, so I mostly just 'emerge system'
7 on those boxes.
8
9 Then I look at the 'emerge world' output to see if I really need to
10 update the boxes with those packages, since they are mostly version
11 bumps and may not be as critical.
14 Matt
15