From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mailserver setup of choice?
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:09:18
1 On 17:41 Fri 20 Jan , Jean Blignaut wrote:
2 > I was wondering what your opinions are on the best mailserver setup to
3 > use?
7 > I have painstakingly setup an exim 4 server with exiscan spamassassin
8 > clamav mysql courier-imap/pop3 squirrelmail (imap web interface) and vexim
9 > (smtp account management - web interface) however I have found it at times
10 > unpleasant to administrate and some times wonder if I should not rather
11 > have gone with postfix or qmail
12
13 I just rebuilt my email services on my new Gentoo router/firewall etc.,
14 after a couple of seemingly unsolvable problems developed on my old email
15 server. The old server was pretty complex, I didn't document well, and I
16 just couldn't figure out to solve the problem.
17
18 So I resolved to make my new email server as simple as possible, always
19 keeping in mind security.
20
21 I used the following:
22
23 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Small_Email_Server_with_Postfix_with_POP3_%28TLS%29
24 and
25 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Spam_Filtering_with_Gentoo%2C_Postfix%2C_Amavis
26
27 I combined and modified somewhat, managed to eliminate cyrus-sasl (never
28 really understood why it was being used, no mysql database, no imap (I
29 really never used it). I still have some minor tweaking to do, mostly based
30 on the some of the ideas and links at the bottom of
31
32 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mailfilter-guide.xml
33
34 Putting it together was fast, I think I understand every piece that went
35 into it, and it seems very secure.
36
37 Good luck
38