From: Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte <kioshen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o, Simon Striker <simon@×××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo for server
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:35:39
1 On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:20:16 +0100, Simon Striker <simon@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I have just installed Gentoo on my laptop and I am very satisfied with
5 > it! I really like the portage feature and other Gentoo philosophy.
6 >
7 > At home and at "week-end house" I have a Linux server with Slackware
8 > distribution installed. Now I am thinking of reinstalling my servers and
9 > installing the Gentoo Linux on them, but I am a bit worried
10 > because all packages in Portage tree are NOT up-to-date.
11 >
12 <flame> Hum ever tried Debian potato ? </flame>. Seriously what do you
13 mean by all packages ? Do you run stable or unstable ? If you talk
14 about some obscure package yeah probably but everything is mostly up
15 to date. If you really want leading edge or even bleeding edge run
16 unstable (put your arch here). Browse bugs.gentoo.org or even there
17 are some cvs ebuilds that you can find. Why not unmask some ebuilds
18 that are masked from /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask too. Try to be
19 more precise about what you find "NOT to up to date" like example
20 perhaps.
21
22 etcat -v php
23 [ Results for search key : php ]
24 [ Candidate applications found : 8 ]
25
26 Only printing found installed programs.
27
28 * dev-php/php :
29 [ ] 4.3.8 (0)
30 [ ~ ] 4.3.9_rc1 (0)
31 [ ] 4.3.9 (0)
32 [M ] 5.0.0 (0)
33 [ ~ ] 5.0.0-r1 (0)
34 [ ~ ] 5.0.1 (0)
35 [ ~ ] 5.0.2 (0)
36 [ I] 5.0.2-r1 (0)
37
38 See portage has an ebuild for php 5.0.2 but it is masked unstable. If
39 you run only stable package you will only be able to use 4.3.9. Do you
40 understand better how portage works ?
41
42 > I am using servers for: Mail-server, web-server, printer-share,
43 > firewall, router, backup-server, webmail, mysql etc.
44 >
45 > I would like to know, how do you maintain your servers?
46
47 emerge sync
48 emerge -uDav world
49 emerge -a depclean
50 revdep-rebuild
51
52 That's one way to do it and aimed toward a workstation. As for
53 production servers I run stable, at most update once per week and
54 mostly security updates but I don't think I need to go there. As for
55 my servers at home well there are happy running unstable with 2.6
56 kernel, gcc 3.4 latest glibc nptl enabled (everything with the kitchen
57 sink) . It's mostly for testing ground and toying.
58
59 > Is it safe to
60 > have Gantoo as a server?
61 >
62 Yes depending what you do with it and who's administering it. The
63 default settings are actually better than most distro that I have
64 tried but like everything there is work to do.
65
66 > What do you think of putting all installed packages into
67 > /etc/portage/packages.keywords (~x86) for server?
68 >
69 Depends on your needs. Normally no for production server but if the
70 need is there, nobody is stopping you from testing it first to see how
71 it goes. They are a lot of metrics to consider that you haven't
72 prodided and should be considered.
73
74 > I would like to make my Linux server "insensitive" for hackers or
75 > intruders. Is it possible with Gentoo?
76 >
77 Gentoo linux is still linux. What [put distro here] can do, gentoo
78 linux can too. Anyway, I could tell you a resounding yes but it's a
79 too vague question to develop on the subject.
80
81 > I will be very gratefull to hear some of your opinion or exepriences.
82 >
83 > Thanks in advance!
84 >
85 > Best regards, Simon