From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: [OT] Mirroring/backing-up a large
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:56:32
1 jos houtman wrote:
2
3 > I dont really understand you here, but i think we allready have what you
4 > mean.
5 > but for completeness, this is abit how the system works.
6 > We allready keep a record of the photo's in the db for
7 > bookkeeping/userinfo/accessrights/albums/etc... etc...
8 > the actual location of the image-file is determined by the id plus a
9 > secret. so image 11809373 can be accessed using
10 > This allows to do resizing (120_120), provide the content with a simple
11 > system of apache servers and squids.
12
13 Here is what I am thinking...
14
15 In normal circumstances, databases are more efficient at handling lookups
16 than filesystems.
17
18 In your image application database, use a timestamp field that is updated
19 whenever images are added or updated.
20
21 Generate your backup jobs based on queries to this database instead of
22 requiring rsync to do its differencing thing. For example you can automate
23 a process that queries the database for images that have been updated or
24 added since the last time it ran and generate a file list or backup job
25 that only copies over new or updated images based on the timestamp. You
26 would have to somehow map within the database the actual physical location
27 of the files if you are not already doing it, in addition to using
28 squid/apache to translate to the client.
29
30 That is the first step.
31
32 The second step is to ditch storing everything on a single 9TB system that
33 cannot be backed up efficiently. Distribute the storage of the images on
34 clusters or whatever. For example peel of 1TB of images onto a single
35 server, then update the database (or apache/squid mapping) to point to the
36 new location. 9 1TB boxes would be far less prone to catastrophic failure
37 and much easier to replicate/mirror/backup than a single 9TB box. This is
38 what I call the "google approach" ;) Use cheap commodity hardware and
39 smart implementation to distribute/scale the load.
40
41 Of course the ultimate solution would some sort of cluster or san
42 approach...
45 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list