From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] backup & framework for binary distro was: Old hdd in server
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:47:17
1 On 08 Nov 2003 19:36:13 +0200
2 Andrew Cooks <acooks@××××××××.za> wrote:
3
4 > All of these things are true. The drives should be binned and yes
5 > /var/tmp and swap are particularly bad uses for slow drives. I also
6 > think it doesn't matter much on a 100MHz Pentium and that it's
7 > easier to recover from loosing /tmp and swap than to loose say,
8 > /home or /usr.
9
10 /usr shouldn't be that difficult to recover, and it shouldn't change
11 too much over time. Just make a tar ball once everything seems stable.
12
13 If you're not planning to install the whole hell... maybe you've some
14 chance to place everything in 1 CD.
15
16 BTW since Gentoo require a *lot* of time to be built (expecially on
17 old boxes) what are your strategies for backup?
18
19 I was thinking to try again Gentoo (yes I'm an humble ex user lurking)
20 and I thought that if I found it more stable than last time I tried it
21 would be nice not only to have a way to make a backup, but to use
22 Gentoo as a framework to built up a binary distro to install Gentoo on
23 other boxes without the need to recompile everything from scratch and
24 without having one BIG personalized stage3.