From: Jean Blignaut <jean@×××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] portscanning worm? / GRSecurity
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:31:40
1 I have often considered and even tried a couple of times to setup a
2 hardened box however I get confused between all the different options
3 and all the different implications. What with Selinux Grsecurity 1/2
4 RSBAC PIE etc. etc.
5
6 Also the kernel patching concerns me a bit, I would much rather not have
7 to search around an battle to patch kernels my self if at all possible.
8 I don't get to upgrade the kernel on my production servers very often
9 since company policy is 0 downtime.
10
11 Also Because these are production servers in use by 1000s of customers I
12 would have to find a hardened kernel (or what ever) that would have as
13 small an impact on the current workings and config of the systems
14 involved.
15
16 I have all my partitions formatted (and kernels built) with support for
17 security labels, but that's as far as I've gotten. Also the idea of
18 splitting up roots permissions into roles is an interesting prospect but
19 I've yet to find decent documentation on how to implement/use POSIX
20 ROLES
21
22 -----Original Message-----
23 From: Michael Liesenfelt [mailto:mliesenf@×××××××××.edu]
24 Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 9:46 PM
25 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
26 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portscanning worm? / GRSecurity
27
28 I definitely agree.
29
30 xyon wrote:
31
32 >down more tightly. I'd also recommend disabling loadable module support
33 in
34 >your kernel ;)
35 >
36 >Also, didn't that paper on the idle scan mention that more random IPIDs
37 >would help prevent idle scans? GrSecurity has just the feature to take
38 >care of this. You might want to check into using some of the GRSecurity
39 >features in the kernel. :)
40 >
41 >HTH!
42 >
43 I decided to make all of my servers on hardened gentoo kernels without
44 loadable module support. GRSecurity has a number of great features
45 including /proc restrictions, memory randomization, trusted execution,
46 and denial of server sockets to users. The trusted execution is a very
47 powerful feature. "Untrusted users will not be able to execute any files
48
49 that are not in root-owned directories writable only by root."
50
51 Also, I think the Gentoo Infrastructure servers are all hardened boxes.
54 Michael Liesenfelt
55 University of Florida
56 Innovative Nuclear Space Power and Propulsion Institute
60 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list