From: khurram bhatti <kbhatti@×××××××××××××××.pk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] sendmail
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 20:36:40
1 Quoting kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>:
2
3 > khurram bhatti wrote:
4 > > well I have very strange sendmail behaviour some times it sends 200+
5 > emails/sec
6 > > and some times down to 30 emails/sec, and can't figure it out what's the
7 > issue
8 > > !
9 > > using sendmail for mailing list purpose
12 > Ah, this is a very different question from the one you originally asked.
13 > 30 mails/sec over the course of a day is incredibly good performance.
14 > But seeing that over very short intervals especially when sending out
15 > 10k or less emails in not so good.
16 >
17 > I have a general idea of what the problem might be, but you may have to
18 > Google the details yourself. It's my understanding that sendmail does
19 > something similar to this:
20 > http://www.postfix.org/CONNECTION_CACHE_README.html
21 >
22 > And something like this as well.
23 > http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html#rope
24 >
25 > Sorry I'm much more familiar with Postfix and qmail internals than
26 > Sendmail or I'd have given you better links. I'd start looking around at
27 > how Sendmail does it's queuing and tracking which domains you deliver
28 > fastest to and which are slower. Also look at your mail list software's
29 > docs because there are usually specific tuning data for each MTA. Mail
30 > lists are a bit odd because you're sending the same email X times so you
31 > can do things with them that you can't do with other mail. And most of
32 > the weird performance hacks are MTA specific.
33 >
34 > kashani
35 > --
36 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
39 thanx for the links,
40 well where I have major concern is on emails/sec for mailing list purpose
41 as mentioned it sends 200+ emails/min* and then drops to 49 emails/min in next
42 campaign, 1.35 emails/min, this changing behaviour is my big concern here.
43 RAM,CPU,I/O is good.
44
45 well facing this problem after new server install!
46
47 -khurram
48
50 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
53 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list