From: david@×××××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] portage sync -> partial ?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:11:27
1 On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:38:46AM +0100, Martin Hajduch wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
6 > | Performance problems don't always need databases as the answer.
7 > |
8 > | The current portage hierarchy contains a huge number of little files
9 > | with correlated data scattered all over the place.
10 >
11 > by the way; does everybody need the complete portage tree ?
12 > my servers will never run X, games, etc ....
13 > due to sec updates my portage mirror is syncing every two days
14 > but i would be fine just to sync the packages which i have/need
15 >
16 > well, i could actually modify my rsync command but it would be good to
17 > have some (minimal) support in portage;
18 > for example to have locally stored&updated compressed list of
19 > directories and if something is missing (something what IS in portage)
20 > then it would fetch it, etc ...
23 I'm not sure this is a good idea to have a 'minimal' tree.
24 What might be a cool feature would be an 'exclude directories'
25 rsync even has a command line parameter for this and I believe portage
26 actually uses it to not sync certain directories.
27
28 > i'm nor sure about the details -> is it even possible ? ... it's just
29 > an idea ...
30 >
31 > the question is, how many users have at least 1/3 of all the packages
32 > installed
33 > i don't have, even on my home workstation where i do have X and gnome ...
34 > i don't know if it is exact, but my /var/tmp/portage shows 709 packages
37 I agree I dont' need X/KDE/GNOME for my servers so maybe this 'ignore
38 directory' flag would be something to investigate ?
39
40 I think making peoples choices for them about what packages they
41 should have isn't a great idea. Giving them the choice to customize
42 their portage tree is a much better solution.