From: Christian Spoo <mail@××××××××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Problem while starting Courier-IMAP
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:24:20
1 >> I've been running net-mail/courier-imap version 4.0.1 for quite a while
2 >> but suddenly it refuses to restart.
3 > "Suddenly" ?
4
5 Yes because I rebooted the machine. Normally, Courier should start
6 because it's activated using rc-update but it simply doesn't.
7 Perhaps I should mention that courier-authlib runs without problems.
10 >> A /etc/init.d/courier-imapd restart simply fails.
11 >>
12 > Fails how - what is in the system and mail logs ?
13
14 www ~ # /etc/init.d/courier-imapd start
15 * Starting courier-imapd ...
16 [ !! ]
17 www ~ # tail -n 100 /var/log/mail/current | grep courier
18 www ~ # tail -n 100 /var/log/everything/current | grep courier
19 www ~ #
20
21 As you can see, none of these two logfiles contains anything regarding
22 Courier.
23
24 >> I can run the server manually by issuing the following:
25 >> /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0
26 >> -stderrlogger=/usr/lib/courier-imap/courierlogger
27 >> -stderrloggername=imapd -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=10
28 >> -pid=/var/run/imapd.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 143
29 >> /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/sbin/courier-imapd .Maildir
30 >>
31 > Have you compared this cmdline with the one run by the initscript ?
32
33 This is the cmdline which is run by the initscript. I added a "set -x"
34 on top of /usr/lib/courier-imap/gentoo-imapd.rc trying to debug this
35 script. That way I got this command.
36
37 This is exactly why I'm so stuck about this. The initscript should run
38 this line and apparently it does but the imapd doesn't start, at least
39 when invoked by the initscript. In a regular shell I can run it without
40 problems as I stated above.
43 Christian

mail.vcf text/x-vcard