From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] easy explanation of the strength of 3DES (and perhaps also IDEA)?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:39:17
1 Sri Gupta wrote:
2
3 >>unless you have some special hardware for these algorithms (which
4 >>'standard' PCs do not have),
5 >>then yes IDEA is approx twice as fast then 3DES (in any case, including SSL)
9 >This is what AES (Rijndael) is for. IDEA is patented and proprietary. AES is
10 >just as fast, supports keylength up to 256 bit, and is wide open for
11 >implementation because of its selection as the AES standard. It's also
12 >supported as an SSL cipher.
13 >
14 >-Sri
17 I heard of AES and I think I love it:) Only I am not sure of browser
18 support.
19
20 Mozilla support AES just fine, but I don't know what's the ealiest
21 version of IE supporting this cipher. My users use IE 5.01 and above, I
22 must make sure of it.
23
24 I posted questions several times about IE's support over AES to
25 microsoft.public.* newsgroups, it seems they don't give a shit of the
26 problem!
27
28 My OP on microsoft newsgroups on Oct 24:
29
30 > Hello. Just read a bit about AES on SSL 3.0.
31 >
32 > Before I try it on my own web server, I must make sure Internet
33 > Explorer supports it. Surprisingly, I cannot google it out. Search
34 > terms like "Internet Explorer AES" gives unrelated articles.
35 >
36 > Can any one point me a brief artcile tells me what SSL cipher are
37 > supported by each version of Internet Explorer? More sepecificly, I am
38 > interested to know what cipher is supported by Internet Explorer 5.5
39 > but not IE 5.0.
40 >
41 > What is the earliest version of IE supporting 256-bit AES?