From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] LDAP
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:47:18
1 I'm doing some research and admit I'm at a bit of a loss in regard to
2 LDAP.
3
4 I currently manage my servers with DSA-ssh only access and manage
5 virtual mail and local unix mail accounts with mysql, using the virtual
6 mail setup. I've been very pleased with the setup and have even written
7 some administrative tools to make administering email quite simple.
8 However, recently I've been looking at LDAP to administer accounts on
9 the server. I'm a bit confused though and could use some help.
10
11 I would like to administer the mail accounts via LDAP, and I see some
12 sparse examples, though it is well documented in the postfix docs. I'm
13 sure I could get it up and running, but the end goal would be to use a
14 GUI desktop app to allow our non-techie desk jockeys to modify email
15 account settings, store customer account information and personal
16 address books. Is this even possible? Or am I right back to creating
17 more cl scripts just using ldap as a backend.
18
19 Also, LDAP is a bit unwieldy. There appears to be no clear method for
20 creating schemas, and the lingo is entirely cryptic. It's damn near like
21 having to create your own damn dtd to just publish a web page, I fail to
22 see the usefulness of this.
23
24 There also appears to be a new configuration that uses an ldap schema.
25 It appears to complicate a fairly simple configuration process. I'm not
26 sure what the goal was in this. Is openldap moving in the direction of
27 completely bizarre and unusable, or does this actually serve some useful
28 function? Reading through their documentation, I don't read any valid
29 argument for changing a ~20 line configuration to something entirely
30 impossible to change with any ease.
31
32 Also, I see they have a default using bdb on the backend. I've gone away
33 from bdb because it breaks servers frequently. Minor version bumps often
34 break compatibility. Is there a good, fast alternative?
35
36 Another note. For heavy loads, I use proxy:mysql to connect from
37 postfix, since it creates a persistent connection. Can I use proxy:ldap
38 to achieve the same thing? Or is this even necessary with ldap? In my
39 current setup, I can handle around 500,000+ emails per day, since there
40 isn't much mysql overhead with the persistent connection.
41
42 Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
43
44 Wendall
47 Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
48 on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)
49 -- Linus Torvalds