From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:19:11
1 On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:35:18PM +1030 or thereabouts, stephen white wrote:
2 > No expectation of that happening. I'm thinking more along the lines of
3 > each baseline tracking the stable releases of packages, ceasing to be
4 > updated when those packages have their final releases.
5 >
6 > Eg, baseline 2003.4 might have been tracking Gimp 1.2 when it was
7 > current, therefore it will never go to Gimp 1.3 or Gimp 1.4, only to
8 > the very last release of Gimp 1.2.
9
10 OK, this is an interesting idea, but (if I understand you correctly) it
11 seems to go against what a lot of other folks have been asking for.
12
13 If I can rephrase what I think you're suggesting, you'd like to see a
14 series of portage snapshots (2004.0, 2004.1, etc.) that are not frozen, per
15 se, but are instead continually updated with minor version bumps of various
16 packages. So, using your example of gimp and 2003.4, if 2003.4 is released
17 with gimp 1.2.5 and then, later on, 1.2.{6,7,8,9} are also released as
18 'stable' they would be added into that 2003.4 branch as well? But gimp
19 1.3+ would never be added?
20
21 I personally don't like that idea and I'll give you a real-world example
22 why. We have three web nodes atm. They all run the following software:
23
24 AxKit 1.6.1
25 libxslt 1.0.31
26 libxml2 2.5.6
27
28 That particular combination works. I know it works. It has worked for
29 months. However, if I upgrade either libxslt to 1.0.33 or libxml2 to 2.5.8,
30 Weird Stuff starts happening and my life quickly becomes unpleasant. I'm
31 sure the issues are fixable, but the point is that even minor version bumps
32 can cause serious problems with production systems. In my mind, that
33 defeats the purpose of a stable/frozen tree.
34
35 That said, I'd be curious to read what others think.
36
37 --kurt