From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] smart way to backup apache uploaded files.
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:22:21
1 Hello. I am using a script tool to backup the apache uploaded files
2 (through ssh) on the web server. These files resident in a folder that
3 belongs to 'apache' user. Each time a user upload a file within the web
4 application, the uploaded file stays in that folder with mod 700.
5
6 Because only apache user could read that file (700 permission), it makes
7 it difficult to receive the files through ssh. This is what I did:
8 1) on the backup box (not the web server), create user apache, generate
9 dsa key pair for it.
10 2) on the web server, create /home/httpd, put the public key of
11 apache@backup_box in ~apache/.ssh/authorized_keys
12 3) on the web server, allow apache user login (by changing its shell
13 from /bin/false to /bin/bash)
14 4) run the backup script on the backup box as apache.
15
16 This raises a security problem. apache user being to be able to login
17 through ssh. I am not very experienced to tell how dangerous this could
18 be. I think I am not going to suffer from ssh dictionary attack, very
19 simple reason: user apache (should) have no password, and ssh password
20 login is turned off on web server. However, is there any other risks
21 that could be caused by setting apache user's login shell to bash?
22
23 Another idea might be changing all the uploaded file permission to
24 something like 740, but new files are uploaded every day, they are
25 automatically given permission 700.
26
27 Thank you!