From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:53:53
1 Sean Cook wrote:
2 > This is not necessarily the case, typically if you are CPU bound then
3 > the above statement is true. If you are IO bound, then software raid
4 > offers, overall, better throughput to the disk and allows for more
5 > flexibility.
6 >
7 > Back in the day... we were running the LSI MegaRAID controllers with
8 > RAID 1 on 9gig SCSI disks, we were choking our application
9 > (mysql/mod_perl) we took the MegaRAID controller out and performance
10 > increased by about 25%. (note: this is a real world situation)
13 Then you my friend had some seriously broken hardware. I've never seen
14 anything get slower by moving to dedicated RAID card and usually it got
15 2-3x faster due to having a dedicated local cache on the card.
16
17 kashani
18 --
19 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list